POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : A little trick on big scenes : A little trick on big scenes Server Time
1 Jun 2024 09:52:42 EDT (-0400)
  A little trick on big scenes
From: bancquart sebastien
Date: 27 Jul 2005 15:49:07
Message: <42e7e533$1@news.povray.org>
I noticed something that could be interesting for new users like me :
When we render a big scene, it can happen the parsing and the rendering is
very slow.
A little trick (on Windows): open the task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Suppr) and look
at the processes
Povray should run and use more than 90% of the processor power. If your
scene become very voluminous, you can see the memory utilisation growing
large and  the processor use dimnish, on VERY less than 90 %

If this is the case : your scene uses too much memory for your PC and POVRAY
uses virtual memory, which is very slow. Tryinog to optimize the code of
your scene could reduce the memory consumption. If not, close all other
progs during rendering.